August 24, 2012

Meet the Teacher

Last night was "Meet the Teacher" night at Lauren's school.
We were all excited to meet the wonderful person who is going to help guide Lauren through the beginning of an amazing journey.
 
 
 
Maybe my expectations were too high.
I'm not really sure how I was expecting this to go, but I know it didn't happen.
 
When we walked into the classroom, the lady we thought was her teacher (we couldn't see a name tag or anything) was busy talking with another family, so we patiently waited our turn.
When she finished talking with them she just stood there, looking around at nothing in particular.
 
And we were only about five feet away!
 
So after a few seconds I took a step toward her and asked "Are you Mrs. Kin-cha-low?  Is that how you pronounce it?"
"It's actually Kinch-low."
(In her defense, she was nice about this)
 
She knelt down and said hi to Lauren, but was more matter-of-fact than warm-and-fuzzy.
This is a kindergarten class, right?!

Mrs. Kincheloe told Lauren to walk around the room and figure out where all her school supplies belonged and put them away.
Then she handed me a folder with a few forms to fill out and return to her before we left.
 
While Marcus helped Lauren and Marc walk around the room and get things put away, I sat with Kate and filled out the forms.
 
As I looked at the forms I had a few questions, so I got up and waited in line.
She again kept talking to other families and past children who stopped by.
I know it shouldn't bother me as much as it did, but I was getting upset about being ignored.
 
I think this bothered me mostly because I'm worried this may happen to Lauren.
We've worked hard to teach her to be polite and wait her turn, but what if it doesn't work in this class?
 
Hopefully this was just because "Meet the Teacher" night was a little hectic.
Hopefully Mrs. Kincheloe will turn out to be the wonderful person who is going to help guide Lauren through the beginning of an amazing journey.

Hopefully.

 

5 comments:

  1. I am sure everything will turn out to be fantastic and I am so excited to hear about her first day of Kindergarten. I gave her a hug and a kiss before I left. I am not going to lie, I almost shed a few tears! I also LOVE that she has her Stepping Stone School shirt on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She picked that shirt out herself (she always tells me it's her favorite). And I thought the same thing - it was perfect!

      Delete
  2. Oh Emily, this makes me so sad! As I read along I felt my jaw tightening without realizing it. I'm sure Lauren will have a great year but you are right...it's kindergarten, there should be warm and fuzzy! Who knows maybe she's saving it for the first day?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda had a pit in my stomach as we experienced it, but I just kept trying to remind myself that this wasn't the normal classroom situation and maybe it will be different when school starts.

      But sonce then I've heard from a few people who have had her and they all said that they loved her. She evidently interacts much better with kids than parents, and as long as Lauren has a good experience, I'm fine with that!

      And, by the way, I'm going to need you to move to LISD within the next few years, and stay until Kate makes it through. Thanks so much! :)

      Delete
  3. Lil'Marc walks just like Marcus! LOL

    ReplyDelete